Quiche is not your typical Ayurvedic food. The combination of eggs and cheese and cream can sit very heavily. But eggs are excellent food for reproductive system, and quiche is such a popular food to cook for a new mum, so this alternative uses almond milk to create a lighter quiche that won't give you a tummy ache.
Bonus recipe... the easiest pastry in the world! I love this pastry recipe and it's so quick and versatile you can use it for any tart, pie or flan you can think of. You can use salted butter for savoury pastry or unsalted butter with a pinch of sugar for sweet pastry.
This recipe makes enough pastry for a regular round cake tin. If you have a shallower, wider quiche tin you may need to increase the recipe a little.
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 60 g butter
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Melt butter and milk in a small saucepan over a low heat
- Mix dry ingredients
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir well.
- Press into the bottom of your tin. No need to parbake.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup almond milk
- salt to taste
- Whisk all ingredients together in a large bowl
- Arrange you quiche filling on your pastry (try raw zucchini, raw brocoli, fresh herbs, raw asparagus,pine nuts, tinned artichokes cooked onions, cooked garlic, frozen spinach, fresh spinach, cooked leeks, a little mustard...)
- Pour egg mixture over your filling
- Slower baking creates a more delicious custard, so 180'C for about 40-50 minutes is ideal.
Ayurvedic recipes to heal your mind, body and soul after childbirth.